At a glance...
Due to the destruction of the city in Valle de Almolonga, the city moved down to Valle de Panchoy. Even though its proximity to the volcanoes posed a threat in its reconstruction, its fertile soil, pleasant climate and abundant water made it a perfect setting to build the new city. Hence the settlement of the city starts in 1543 based on the designs of the Italian engineer Juan Bautista Antonelli.
Its official name La Antigua Guatemala comes from the original name Santiago de Guatemala. La Antigua is located in the central region in the Department of Sacatepéquez and 33.1 miles from Guatemala City.
Antigua Guatemala is the perfect place to visit and walk through its wonderful streets with amusing ruins, lovable shops and delightful coffe shops and restaurants. The ideal place to start is in the heart of the city "La Plaza Mayor" (Central Park) where you can visit El Palacio de Ayuntamiento (City Hall) built in the 18th century and the beautiful Cathedral of five naves.