San Bartolomé Becerra is located to the southwest of Antigua. The small town’s name dates back to the 16th century where Bartolomé Becerra, named under the advocacy of the Apostle Bartolomé Becerra, sowed his cornfields in the land that were granted to him in March 20 of 1528. These cornfields lie close to Rio de la Magdalena or del Portal, also known as Rio Guacalate (Actas del Cabildo, Fol. 27v Libro Viejo de la Fundación de Guatemala, Academia de Geografía e Historia de Guatemala, 1991.)
From the 16th century to the middle of the 20th century the small town belonged to the Curato de Nuestra Señora de los Remedios with its see in the church Escuela de Cristo since the beginnings of the 19th century. Today it belongs eccleciastically to the San Jose parish with its see in the Antigua Guatemala Cathedral.